Twins

5 Benefits To Being Chronically Sleep Deprived

jxh-fb-2015-06-10-1

Ah, the sleepy newborn days…

I think everyone has their own definition of ‘sleeping through the night’, don’t they? For me it’s when Douglas and Arthur go to sleep between 6:30-8pm, and don’t wake (or make enough noise to wake me) until past 6am. Between the two of them, I don’t think this has ever really happened. It feels as though I have tried everything, and now I need to let my expectations go a little and accept that whatever sleep I do get is a privilege, not a right!

The tiredness sucks. Obviously. You expect to be tired with a baby (and especially baby twins), so you mentally prepare yourself for nights of feeds, colic, reflux, teething etc. But you hope that by toddlerhood everything will have settled down a bit. As it turns out, you have friends whose kids sleep more hours at night than yours do in any twenty-four hour period. The same friends who also think that 6:30am is too early to wake up (oh, wouldn’t that be nice?)

The baby monitor is your nemesis. Maybe once, there was a time you daren’t sleep in case you missed one of your newborns’ cute little snuffly noises. In fact, you practically glued the thing to your ear. (The monitor that is, not the baby). Nowadays, any noise above the static hum produces an adrenalin-fuelled fight or flight reaction complete with palpitations, and wondering whether you need to get out of bed (please, not again) and for how long.

You mentally torture yourself with lists of things you have done to try and help, and spend way too much time analysing the environment. Are they better with or without white noise? Is it half a degree too warm/cold? Is it because they had cheese before bed? (Yep, I’ve really Googled that. Anyone analysing my search history is in for a But are there any pros to this sleeplessness?

I know, it’s hard to imagine that there are any upsides to not getting any decent sleep for eighteen months, but I’ve managed to find a couple of silver linings. It’s a stretch, but we’ve got to keep our chins up somehow…

5 Benefits to Being Chronically Sleep Deprived

• You don’t sweat the small stuff anymore. The little things matter less. (Or to put it bluntly, you have fewer f**ks to give and must use them wisely). There’s both mental and physical energy, and neither can be wasted. You have less time for niggling worries, petty arguments and self-esteem issues to name a few.
  • People-pleasing is no longer your thing. You start doing things only because your family enjoys them and not because your great aunt’s cousin’s best friend will be disappointed if you don’t.
  •  As you lie in bed playing ‘Who will acknowledge the crying children first?’ with your partner, you perfect the art of playing dead.
  • You are unknowingly honing your ninja skills. Knowing every single creaky floorboard in your house means you are fully prepared, should you ever need to creep up on an intruder.
  • You boost the economic growth of cosmetic companies. Particularly if you manage to find the holy grail under-eye concealer, which you now cannot leave the house without as people look at you as if you have lost your way from the set of The Walking Dead.

And eventually, when your biorhythms are too messed up to ever revert to a normal sleeping pattern (and yet your children finally, mysteriously find theirs), think how productive you’ll be with all that extra time!

Am I in the minority, or do you have restless, sleep-stealing toddlers too? This too shall pass, right?

My Petit Canard

Diary of an imperfect mum

You Might Also Like

10 Comments

kristin mccarthy
    December 5, 2016 at 12:42 pm

I hear ya. I have a 9,6 and twin 2 year olds. No slee here- not for at least a decade.

Someone is always going though a “non-sleep” phase.

The twins-you are right. There is never a night where both are silent all night long.

#marvmondays

twolittlemisters
      December 5, 2016 at 7:53 pm

Noooo, you mean it doesn’t get better?! 😂

The Tale of Mummyhood
    December 5, 2016 at 1:45 pm

Ah I’m a total pro at the who will get up first game, although I think he’s getting wise to it!

#MarvMondays

twolittlemisters
      December 5, 2016 at 7:52 pm

If only we could perfect a faux snore, that should seal the deal! 😂

Lacey
    December 5, 2016 at 1:47 pm

Your amazing!!! I’m right there with you! Mine are 15 months and I want to ponch a hole in the wall I’m so tired. I sit down to watch a show or eat food after the boys go to bed and then every 10 mins deal with a screaming baby! Will it ever end? Thanks for the post, it made me laugh. Hang in there! 😘

twolittlemisters
      December 5, 2016 at 7:55 pm

Thanks so much for commenting, Lacey! Glad I made you laugh, I think you definitely have to! Hope you have a peaceful and restful Christmas (you’d better make sure you’ve been verrrry good this year!) 😄

Angela Watling
    December 5, 2016 at 9:09 pm

Haha, great post although you have my sympathy! I only have one toddler to deal with – she’s 2 in Jan – and she woke almost every night until about 17 / 18 months. Recently she’s been sleeping through more regularly but she will still occasionally wake for a drink. It had reached a point where on the rare night she slept through I felt more shattered than on a ‘wake up’ night. I always felt alone in being awoken at night until I turned to the internet. My friends would claim their toddlers never ever woke and I gave up mentioning when I had tired days…

Hope your two start giving you a break in the coming months! Until they do…you are definitely not the only Mum being woken in the night by children who are no longer babies. #MarvMondays

twolittlemisters
      December 5, 2016 at 9:21 pm

It’s funny isn’t it, our bodies seem to learn to manage and then don’t know what to do when we actually get one good night! Good to hear your little one is doing a bit better now. x

Emma Reed
    December 8, 2016 at 1:10 pm

Mine is almost three and still wakes up! I love the idea about keeping the cosmetic companies in business! hahaha yep foundation is a must these days. #ablogginggoodtime

themotherhub.ie
    December 8, 2016 at 1:26 pm

oh lord, im with you. mine are 6 and 3 – the 6 yr old only started sleeping through a few months ago and the three year old joins us every night, resulting in me hanging off the edge of the bed . I cant think of any positives….apart from, like you said, how much better ill feel when i do finally get some proper sleep! #ablogginggoodtime