Crafts

DIY – BIRDHOUSE COAT HOOK

diybirdhousecoathook-01

This week I was by inspired Caro over at The Twinkle Diaries after she posted her fantastic craft ‘How to make a beach hut birdhouse’. Through this, I discovered the craft supplies website ‘Buddly Crafts‘ and couldn’t resist having a browse and buying a birdhouse of my own to upcycle!

I had been thinking that with the cooler weather coming, it would be great for my boys to have coat hooks of their own and thought I could combine that idea with the birdhouses.

fromthis-01

Here are lists of the supplies and tools you need to make this cute birdhouse coat hook (links are below).

birdhousetutorial1-01

Method:

1 – The wooden peg on the front of the birdhouse needs to be removed to make way for the hook. Tap gently but firmly with a small hammer to dislodge the glue and then push through and remove.

2 – Fill the peg hole with wood filler and leave to dry. (Fig. 1)fig1-01

3 – Use sandpaper to smooth and bring it level again.

4 – Apply 2-3 coats of chalk paint to each panel of the birdhouse.

5 – Cut the wood print paper into two rectangles the size of each roof panel, plus 5mm excess each side. (For my birdhouse, these were each 11cm x 14.6cm).

6 – Apply PVA glue to the back of each paper rectangle and smooth onto the roof panels. Allow to dry and trim the excess, giving an even finish. You should now have something that looks like Fig. 2.

fig2-01

7 – Using a pencil, mark through the screw holes on your hook where you would like to place it. Use a bradawl or a nail pushed into the soft wood to make small pilot holes. Screw your hook onto the front of the birdhouse.

8 – Optional – personalise your birdhouse with an initial.

9 – Apply 1-2 coats of Mod Podge or varnish, to seal and protect from wear and tear.

10 – When dry, attach your miniature bird by taping the wire inside the hole.

11 – For hanging the piece on the wall, I used a bracket from this selection.

And there you have it! Alternatively, why not use it as the perfect place to hang your keys? You’ll always know where to find them!

DSC_1008

DSC_1011

Linksbutton-01

Wooden Birdhouse

Chalk Paint

Wooden Planks Print Wallpaper (1 A4 sample sheet is enough for one birdhouse)

Hook

Miniature Bird

Initial Rub-On no longer available, similar available here or for a different look try these stickers. Alternatively you could paint freehand, use a stencil or a rubber stamp.

Home Etc

You Might Also Like

12 Comments

Fionnuala
    September 30, 2015 at 10:06 am

That is just gorgeous! What a brilliant idea!
    #HomeEtc
    Fionnuala from http://www.threesonslater.blogspot.com

twolittlemisters
      September 30, 2015 at 8:56 pm

Thank you Fionnuala! Think I’d better make another one soon so my second twin isn’t left out! Haha x

Lins @Boo & Maddie
    September 30, 2015 at 4:05 pm

What a lovely idea and little makeover. I’d love to do this with my nieces and nephews, a great rainy day craft project X #HomeEtc

twolittlemisters
      September 30, 2015 at 8:55 pm

Ahh that sounds lovely! I can imagine children would each put their own unique spin on this project, they could paint little details on, or even decoupage the roof!

Julia @ Rainbeaubelle
    September 30, 2015 at 8:10 pm

Oh how cute is this! I absolutely love it and it’s such a great idea. I loved Caro’s post too, I might have to head on over to this site to have a browse myself! x #HomeEtc

twolittlemisters
      September 30, 2015 at 8:53 pm

Thank you Julia! Yes do have a browse on Buddly Crafts, there is so much there I don’t think I even scratched the surface! My package arrived very quickly too 🙂

Not A Frumpy Mum
    October 4, 2015 at 2:25 pm

I loved Caro’s idea from last week too ad your bird house coat hooks look fab. I bet your little boys love them. x

twolittlemisters
      October 4, 2015 at 10:12 pm

mummyofboygirltwins
    October 6, 2015 at 11:41 am

Absolutely lovely! What a transformation you clever lady! Loved Caro’s post too. Not sure where you find the time to do crafts but I admire you!!!!! Thanks for linking up and sharing 🙂 Much appreciated. Jess x #HomeEtc

twolittlemisters
      October 6, 2015 at 11:48 am

Thanks Jess! It was a fun one to do and didn’t take too long, which is key at the moment as you’ll know!! I just grab time as and when they are napping (it’s amazing what you can achieve in 30 mins!) or at the weekend my husband takes over for a bit! Hope to link up some more posts over the next couple of months, especially with Christmas coming up! x

Caro | The Twinkles Mama
    October 9, 2015 at 2:05 pm

Aaah just catching up now!!!! AMAZING!!! This looks fantastic!!! 😀 What a fab transformation!! You may have inspired me to go and buy some more!! Thanks so much for linking up to #HomeEtc — and thanks too for the lovely mention xx

twolittlemisters
      October 9, 2015 at 9:38 pm

Ahh thank you Caro! It was a fun little project and there are some great buys on that website, I can’t wait to plan some Christmas crafts! You’re very welcome, hope to link up again soon x